The Western Educational Equity Assistance Center (WEEAC) at WestEd provides technical assistance and training—upon request from school districts, tribal, and state education agencies—to promote equitable education opportunities and resources.
Authorized under Title IV of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, WEEAC plays a vital role in ensuring that all students have equitable access to high-quality education, regardless of their race, sex, national origin, or religion. By law, the Center serves Alaska, American Samoa, Arizona, California, Colorado, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, Hawai’i, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.
WestEd operates WEEAC in collaboration with two partners, Pacific Resources for Education and Learning (PREL) and Attendance Works. PREL provides education research, development, and training to the Pacific region. Attendance Works is the nation’s leading resource for closing equity gaps by reducing chronic absenteeism.
Our staff works closely with both PREL and Attendance Works to draw from best practices, research, and key partnerships to help state, tribal, and local education organizations build capacity to center equity effectively in their systems, resources, and decision-making.
Our Center’s approach recognizes that everyone—families, communities, states, and the nation—benefits when equitable and meaningful opportunities to succeed in school are available to every child. By providing targeted and intensive technical assistance to state and local agencies, WEEAC works to ensure these opportunities.
WEEAC at WestEd brings significant expertise to the region in the following areas:
- content expertise on issues related to desegregation;
- efficient project management;
- technical expertise in delivering federally funded technical assistance;
- deep knowledge of the region; and
- exceptional partnerships with federally funded centers, including a robust network of Comprehensive Centers and Regional Educational Laboratories.
WEEAC at WestEd is one of four Equity Assistance Centers (EACs) funded by the U.S. Department of Education.
Region We Serve
- Far West California, Nevada Contact Far West Liaison
- Northwest Alaska, Oregon, Washington Contact Northwest Liaison
- Pacific American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, Hawai’i Contact Pacific Liaison
- Southwest Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah Contact Southwest Liaison
- West Idaho, Montana, Wyoming Contact West Liaison
WestEd is a nonpartisan, nonprofit agency that conducts and applies research, develops evidence-based solutions, and provides services and resources in the realms of education, human development, and related fields, with the end goal of improving outcomes and ensuring equity for individuals from infancy through adulthood. For more information, visit WestEd.org.